Amazon has scheduled its quarterly earnings announcement after the markets close one week from today, January 29, 2013, with the usual conference call to discuss financial results at 2:00 p.m. PT/5:00 p.m. ET that day. The conference call will be webcast live, and the audio and associated slides will be available for at least three months thereafter at www.amazon.com/ir.
It will be interesting to see if the company is able to continue its recent surge in share price, which has been fueled not only by the Kindle revolution but also huge growth in the company’s overall global retail market share, its Amazon Web Services cloud infrastructure, and the disruptive nature of its customer-centric business model and aggressive pricing on the market share of Apple and Barnes & Noble. Not only has Amazon’s share price jumped about 50% over the past year, but it has gained over 20% during the last six months (double the Nasdaq composite index) while both Apple and Barnes & Noble have seen their shares fall by about 10% each during that period.
It scarcely makes sense any more to think of Amazon as the single company that Jeff Bezos started in his garage 17 years ago. First, of course, there’s the global presence:
Equally impressive is the astonishing diversity of the company, whose website currently l
- AbeBooks Rare Books & Textbooks
- AfterSchool.com Kids’ Sports, Footwear, Dance & Crafts
- AmazonFresh Groceries & More Right To Your Door
- AmazonLocal Great Local Deals in Your City
- AmazonSupply Business, Industrial & Scientific Supplies
- AmazonWebServices Scalable Cloud Services
- AmazonWireless Cellphones & Wireless Plans
- Askville Community Answers
- Audible Download Audiobooks
- BeautyBar.com Prestige Beauty Delivered
- Book Depository Books With Free Delivery Worldwide
- Bookworm.com Books For Children Of All Ages
- Casa.com Kitchen, Storage & Everything Home
- CreateSpace Indie Publishing Made Easy
- Diapers.com Everything But The Baby
- DPReview Digital Photography
- Fabric Sewing, Quilting & Knitting
- IMDb MOvies, TV & Celebrities
- Junglee.com Shop Online in India
- MYHABIT Private Fashion Designer Stores
- Shopbop Designer Fashion Brands
- Soap.com Health, Beauty & Home Essentials
- Vine.com Everything to Live Life Green
- Wag.com Everything For Your Pet
- Woot Never Gonna Give You Up
- Yoyo.com A Happy Place to Shop for Toys
- Zappos Shoes & Clothes
And then there’s Amazon Publishing, which has grown to six pretty serious imprints so far:
- AmazonEncore. Amazon Publishing’s flagship imprint, AmazonEncore helps unearth exceptional books and emerging authors for more readers to enjoy, using customer feedback and sales information from Amazon’s sites.
- AmazonCrossing. AmazonCrossing introduces readers to authors from around the world with translations of foreign language books, making award-winning and best-selling books accessible to many readers for the first time.
- Thomas & Mercer. Thomas & Mercer, named for streets that flank Amazon headquarters in Seattle, focuses on mystery and thrillers, an exceptionally popular genre among Amazon customers.
- Montlake Romance. Amazon.com customers rave about romance. Montlake Romance is designed to connect outstanding romance novels with more readers.
- 47North. 47North offers a wide array of new novels and cult favorites, from urban fantasies to space operas, alternate histories to gothic and supernatural horror.
- Amazon Children’s Publishing. Amazon Children’s Publishing provides quality books for young readers of all ages, from award-winning picture books, chapter books, and middle-grade books to compelling novels for teens.
Wow. Plenty here to sustain a continued surge, or not. But want to know what’s really impressive?
Jeff Bezos says he sleeps very well at night. That’s impressive.