Why should I provide my email address?

Start saving money today with our FREE daily newsletter packed with the best FREE and bargain Kindle book deals. We will never share your email address!

Kindle Nation Keeps Giving Back to Our Readers with a Brand New Chance to Win a Kindle 3G or Either of Two Gift Cards!

We had so much fun with last week’s first-ever Kindle Nation Sweepstakes that we are doing it again!

Just like last time we’re giving away the best of all the Kindle models, a free Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi that retails for $189. And this time we’ll give the winner her choice of colors, graphite or white.

But that’s not all! This time we’re also giving away a second prize ($100 Kindle gift certificate) and a third prize ($50 Kindle gift certificate).

As always, our sweepstakes is powered by Hy.Ly and is open to all our Facebook fans who enter. If you haven’t become a Facebook fan yet, it will take you about 10 second to go here and “Like” our Facebook page. Then fill out the entry field, submit your entry, and click to share with your friend!

And good luck!

A Word on the Current Blogger Outage

Good morning. As you may have heard, Google’s “Blogger” or “Blogspot” service has been in outage mode for most of the past two days, which of course has caused serious problems for hundreds of thousands of blogs and, perhaps, for their readers. It’s not a famine, an earthquake, or an international incident (at least not in the usual sense), but it’s trouble in the blogosphere.

At Kindle Nation, we moved our primary blogging infrastructure from Blogger to WordPress in March, and although we had a few glitches along the way we are happy with the move and relieved that we haven’t had to depend on Blogger for very much these past two days.

However, we were continuing to rely on Blogger for certain back-office processes including some content preparation and editing as well as the RSS feed that provides our content in Kindle-friendly format for our thousands of paid Kindle subscribers. If you are a paid Kindle subscriber, you may be noticing some effects* from the Blogger outage, but we are working hard to minimize any negative impact. We apologize if you miss any posts temporarily, and we have to ask for your patience as we redouble our efforts on your behalf.

Meanwhile, all our posts and content are live at http://kindlenationdaily.com, and our Facebook page is updated each time we post at http://www.facebook.com/KindleNation.

*One such effect may be that the listing of free books in our Daily Free Book alert does not render well on the Kindle. This is a temporary problem, but you will be able to see the complete, automatically updated list at http://kindlenationdaily.com, and our Facebook page is updated each time we post at http://www.facebook.com/KindleNation.

Joe Konrath and ORIGIN: Doing Well by Doing Good, and a Great Read to Boot

Sometimes it’s fun to be late to the party….

I got an email yesterday afternoon from bestselling thriller writer Joe Konrath. He wanted me to know about something he was doing that I personally think is very cool. He had recently lowered the Kindle price of his full-length technothriller Origin — “All hell is about the break loose. For real.” – to 99 cents, and it had jumped up to #109 overall among the bestselling books, games, and periodicals in the Kindle Store.

Lowering the price of such a popular book is cool enough, but what I think is pretty cool is that Joe posted a serious commitment on his blog, that he would… well, I’ll let Joe tell you:

Naturally, I’d like to crack the Top 100.

There’s a charity called First Book, which buys books for children who don’t have any.

If ORIGIN does indeed make it into the Top 100, I’ll donate $500 to First Book.

Joe doesn’t need to give anything away to be a bestselling author, and it’s not like he is a bleeding-heart do-gooder or anything. He’s just a generous, humble, and very talented man who enjoys a sporting proposition now and then.

He wrote to me because he thought that Kindle Nation might be able to help put Origin over the top, and he offered to pay for some sort of sponsorship if I could post something to help. I had two problems with that.

• First, I told Joe to hold onto his money because this is the kind of thing that we at Kindle Nation love to support — especially when there is a very good book involved — without any folding money changing hands.
  • Second, at the time I heard from Joe I was literally on my way out the door to a commitment involving my 12-year-old son, and there was no way I was going to be able to post until this morning.

So now it is this morning, and does Joe need the help of Kindle Nation?

Not so much. As I write this, Origin has jumped from #136 to #76 in the Kindle Store in the last 24 hours and currently stands at #4 overall on the Kindle Store Movers and Shakers list.

Way to go, Joe. I believe that’s what we call doing well by doing good. It’s kind of an old-fashioned concept in a world where way too many people believe they are entitled to far more than they’ll ever need, but it’s a good concept that i would love to see a lot more of. I think it’s such a great idea that I figure if it’s good enough for Joe it’s good enough for Steve. I don’t have Joe’s deep pockets, but I did just click on First Book to make a small donation in Joe’s honor.

So, where we stand now is that there is no need for anyone to buy Origin for the purpose of pushing Joe to make a donation, because he’s already there.

But I hope you’ll buy it anyway if you have not already read it, for two reasons:

• First, it’s a kind of a Pay it Forward thing. What the heck, maybe Joe will spring for another $500 if Origin goes to the top 25 on the Kindle bestseller list. Like he needs me to tell him what to do with his money.
  • Second, please allow me to introduce myself. I’m the guy whose major purposes in life include the desire to connect the greatest readers in the world with terrific reading.

And yep, that’s what you will find in Origin. Here’s the set-up:

When linguist Andrew Dennison is yanked from his bed by the Secret Service and taken to a top secret facility in the desert , he has no idea he’s been brought there to translate the words of an ancient demon.

He joins pretty but cold veterinarian Sun Jones, eccentric molecular biologist Dr. Frank Belgium, and a hodge-podge of religious, military, and science personnel to try and figure out if the creature is, indeed, Satan.

But things quickly go bad, and very soon Andy isn’t just fighting for his life, but the lives of everyone on earth…

ORIGIN by J.A. Konrath

All hell is about the break loose. For real.

Guest Post by Susan Moody Prieto of WorldReader.org: “Win a Kindle Lover’s Dream Trip to Ghana!”

Regular readers of Kindle Nation may recall our past efforts to help get the word out about a terrific non-profit organization called WorldReader.org that is doing all it can to spread the Kindle Revolution worldwide:
So we’re especially pleased to welcome WorldReader.org’s Susan Moody Prieto for this guest post to tell you about a very cool opportunity for the more adventurous and globally oriented among the citizens of Kindle Nation!
Here’s Susan:

All’s great here at Worldreader – the kids in Ghana are reading up a storm and we’re moving into Kenya.

Just a quick note to share with you this contest: http://blog.worldreader.org/2011/03/21/win-a-volunteer-trip-to-ghana/ The contest ends at 12 P.M. Eastern time this Friday, April 1, but I was thinking that your Kindle-loving readers might be interested.
A little more info:
eDreams.com, Worldreader’s travel partner, is sponsoring a once in a lifetime contest to spend a week in late May/early June volunteering with Worldreader in Ghana.  eDreams will cover the flight, food, and lodging- the winner will only need shopping money (and the market is quite cool!)

The winner will fly into Accra and will be met by a Worldreader team member, spend the night and next day in the capital touring historic sites and visiting the market.

Then they’ll be driven out to Ghana’s Eastern Region– to Adeiso and Kade, where Worldreader has 500 e-readers in 6 schools.

They’ll spend the next two days volunteering in the schools doing reading exercises and helping teachers.  The days will be long, and there might be issues that Worldreader will be working on (see iRead Challenges).
Then winner spend two days accompanying a film crew into some of the homes of the children who Worldreader filmed last time-  to talk to parents about how the e-reader is being used by the family.

The hotel is Ju’niel Lodge in Osenasi- it’s rustic and overall the trip is not “relaxing” in a vacation sense–it’s working long hours in a hot climate, but the winner will be making a huge difference in a child’s life.

Thanks, Susan! And of course I’ll my two cents for our readers here at this end:
  • If you’d like to help but you’re just not sure about a trip to Ghana just now, don’t hesitate to click on this Donate button for WorldReader.org.
  • If a Kindle Nation reader does enter the contest and wins, please send an email with your contact information to kindlenation@gmail.com and Kindle Nation’s parent company Windwalker Media will donate a free Kindle for you to bring with you to give to one of the participating schools through the auspices of WorldReader.org!

Guest Post by Joe Konrath: Depression and Writers

(Ed. note: This post by author Joe Konrath first appeared today, Friday, March 25, 2011 at his excellent blog. — S.W.)

I get a lot of email, and though I try to read it all, I can’t reply to everyone.

Here’s one I replied to, reprinted with the author’s permission.

I think it’s important for reasons I’ll disclose afterward.

So here’s Kiana Davenport

“Dear Joe Konrath…this may never reach you. You must have millions of fans. Nonetheless, I need to write and express my gratitude to you.

My last three novels were pretty good sellers. Scribners, Ballantine, you know the drill. A few years ago, sales dropped drastically, no more royalties, the recession hit and I started living on my meager savings. Other than that all I own are 3 acres of land here, which in this market no one wants to buy. I don’t even own a house.

I studied Creative Writing at university, but for years I was a fashion model in NYC, lived it up and never saved a dime. Then I went back to writing, prepared to scale down and live modestly. But as you know, things got even worse with the economy. It took me four years to write the most recent novel for which a NY publisher offered me less than HALF my previous advance. A depressing figure, to be paid out in fourths through 2013! By then I could be dead, and it won’t even pay my bills. I was so desperate I accepted. Now I have to wait another year for the book to be published.

Agents and editors were admitting we’re in a ‘dying industry.’ With dwindling publishers, rock-bottom advances, I didn’t see any reason to write anymore, which is what I LIVE for.

Unemployment is staggering here, I couldn’t find a job. I sold my good clothes and jewelry, made out a will leaving the land to my daughter. I felt I’d rather die than scrape and starve. (I’m a good swimmer, I’m half Hawaiian, I know how to swim to exhaustion, then unconsciousness.) If I couldn’t make a living at what I love to do – publishers and bookstores folding left and right – I felt I’d rather pack it in. I was dead serious, I’ve never been afraid to die. Its a Hawaiian thing – we always have one foot in the other world.

At first friends thought I was kidding, but then they saw me making plans, they watched me begin to withdraw. Then one day a friend came to my house and said two words. “JOE KONRATH.” That’s what she said. “This man is going to save your life.”

I had never heard of you. She forced me then and there to sit down and start reading your blogs.

I read for two days straight.

You were my epiphany. You were telling me there was life beyond print publishing. In fact a WHOLE NEW WORLD in digital. You led me to the revolution. I started reading your books. So far I have loved SHOT OF TEQUILA and TRUCK STOP. They’re tough, fast-paced and humorous, and now and then poetic. I’m still reading.

Most importantly, within one month, following your example, I had uploaded onto Kindle my first indie ebook, HOUSE OF SKIN – PRIZE-WINNING STORIES by Kiana Davenport. All the stories I could never get published in NY as a collection. I kept my price low as you suggested, $1.99. Reader reviews have all been 5 stars.

Its selling well. I may never be a bestseller like you, but I am a HAPPY WRITER AGAIN. In fact, I’m ecstatic. My book is mine. My cover is mine. I can write what I feel, not what a publisher demands. I’m now working on my second collection of stories and a new novel. I am digital for life!

Joe, I hope you can go to Kindle and check out HOUSE OF SKIN…I owe it all to you. I kid you not, you saved my life. I am your fan, and have never said that to anyone, not even Norman Mailer. I read everything you write, I take your advice. I thought your recent interview with Barry Eisler was brilliant, shocking and prophetic as hell. I have recommended it to everyone, everywhere, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I’m just building a website and will highly recommend you there as well.

Again, I want to say a million Mahalos! Thanks! For giving me back my deep joy in writing, and my life. I so glad I didn’t take that swim. With my alohas from Hawai’i…”

Joe sez: Well, first of all, I’m not deserving of her gratitude. I’m just a writer sharing what I’ve learned, which is something we all should be doing. I don’t have millions of fans, and though she said kind things about my writing, having bought and read a few selections in HOUSE OF SKIN she’s much better than I am.

And of course I didn’t actually save her life. Kiana did that all by herself. It’s a nice thing for her to say, but it was her own inner strength that kept her going, not the stuff I blog about.

As you might expect, I was humbled, touched, and ultimately concerned by this letter. Artists by nature are temperamental, and depression is common in this business.

When Hyperion dropped my Jack Daniels series, I was pretty much a mess. I’d worked like a dog to make sure those books sold. And they were selling. Still are. But I was counting on that next advance to feed my family, and when it didn’t come I felt devastated. Worthless. Helpless. It made no sense (still doesn’t) and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it.

There are few worse feelings than trying your best and it not being enough.

I wound up getting another contract a few months later, for much less money. And I kept a brave face in public, downplaying how badly I felt.

I know for a fact I wasn’t the only one who had to go through something like that.

Over the years, I’ve lost count of the conversations I’ve had with writers who had similar experiences to Kiana and me. Tales of rejection. Of bad luck and stupid publisher decisions. Of getting the shit end of the stick, over and over and over.

It got me thinking. For every writer popping open the champagne because they just got a new deal, there are dozens who have gotten screwed. And no doubt some of them thought about swimming out to sea. While my depression never got that severe, I certainly wouldn’t want to relive those dark, depressing, frightening months without a publishing contract.

But I never have to feel that way again. None of us do. We don’t have to rely on a gatekeeper’s “yes” or “no” to dictate how we feel about ourselves. We don’t have to put all of our eggs into the legacy publishing basket anymore. Hell, we don’t have to put any eggs in there at all.

For the first time ever, writers have a choice.

Choices are empowering. Having the ability to control our futures, even with something as simple as self-publishing an ebook, means we aren’t helpless anymore.

That’s a very good thing.

Kiana’s latest advance for her upcoming novel is a shame. And though she says her self-pubbed ebook collection is selling well, her current rank is so-so.

HOUSE OF SKIN is $1.99. I already bought a copy.

I’m asking you to buy a copy as well.

Let’s see how low we can get her Amazon ranking. Right now it’s #134,555.

I’d really like to see it crack the Top 1000.

Help me spread the word.

At Kindle Kids’ Corner: Recent Reviews and 25 Free Kids Books on Kindle

Just a brief post here to encourage you — if you have any young readers in your personal Kindlesphere — to check our recently launched Kindle Kids’ Corner.

Each Monday and Thursday we feature reviews of kids’ ebooks for kids and by kids, and once a week we share a specially curated list of free Kindle books just for kids. Here are a few links to recent posts that may be of interest:

From the Kindle Nation Mailbag: A Fly in Amazon’s Free-Book Ointment

Thanks to Kindle Nation citizen Nancy for an eagle eye and a natural question:

Hi there,

I was just wondering why all the “freebie” classics that are from the early 1900’s and even the 1800’s are showing up on the Contemporary Book List as of yesterday.

Thanks,

Nancy

Thanks for the question Nancy, and yes, Amazon changed something in the metadata for these titles’ listings in the past few days, and I’m following up with contacts there in hopes that it was simply a mistake by some new Amazon staffer there, or that sort of thing. The first thing I checked was whether older public domain titles had been let in, and they weren’t so, I’m hopeful that it is a human-error glitch.

Cheers,

Steve