Why should I provide my email address?

Start saving money today with our FREE daily newsletter packed with the best FREE and bargain Kindle book deals. We will never share your email address!

Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey Results: How Agency Model Publishers Are Killing Their Own Kindle Sales

(One of several Kindle Nation posts exploring the results of the Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey. Click here to see a breakdown of results.) 

By Tom Dulaney, Contributing Reporter

Every salesman from Seth Godin to the guy at your local used car lot or Lexus dealership knows that one of the likeliest death knells for any prospective sale is signalled by these words from the buyer: “Let me think it over.”

eBooks are no different. While it is certainly true that the Kindle environment makes ebook purchases and downloads magically friction-free and convenient, that seamlessness does not turn Kindle owners into a nation of idiots.

For a whopping 88% of the 2,275 respondents in the Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey, “Let me think it over” translates into identification with the survey’s statement that “I frequently choose to delay purchasing an ebook that I want to buy if I think the price is too high.” 60% clicked “strongly agree” with the statement, and another 28% selected “agree.”

Those not coming down on the side of “wait-and-see” are a paltry 3% not sure about their actions, 4% who disagree and don’t delay, and another 4% who strongly disagree and pay up with abandon.

The DMZ no man’s land in the price struggles between publishers and readers is bordered by the $10 price line and the $12.99 price line, the survey suggests. In that range, 50% of survey respondents say they have paid the price occasionally for newly released titles. Some 8% “strongly agree” they have done so, while 42% “agree.” Some 46% disagree or strongly disagree; they haven’t flinched and paid. A neutral 4% sits in the middle.

So, half the respondents occasionally do pay from $10 to $13 dollars for an ebook, and just under half never do so. Cross the $13 parallel into more expensive waters, and things change dramatically, as shown a bit further below.

Whether large or small, traditional or indie, publishers and authors would do well to read between the lines here. For anyone with the sense to juxtapose these survey results with a look at the price composition of the Kindle Store bestseller lists, it becomes clear in a hurry that it is customers, not publishers, who are setting prices in the Kindle Store.

And any publisher or author who blows off the issue thinking the “delay” means the buyer will be back sooner or later needs to audit Business 101 next semester: You never recoup 100% of pushed-off sales.

Ominous news from the survey for big-league publishers and bestselling authors pushing higher prices are these figures from the survey: 76% of respondents say if “publishers keep charging higher bestseller prices, I’ll buy more backlist or indie titles.” To paraphrase the song, if you can’t be with the author you love, then love the one you’re with. 

Once again, it’s worth a look at the composition of the Kindle Store bestseller lists: 18 of the top 50 bestselling titles in the Kindle Store are by indie authors, compared with zero just nine months ago when publishers were launching their ill-fated agency model price-fixing scheme. Those 18 indie titles will sell over a million Kindle copies this month alone, and those are a million copies that traditional publishers will never have a chance to sell again.

There’s no doubt readers are much more price conscious this year. “With recent ebook price controversies, I’ve become more price conscious,” is the statement presented in the survey. Some 83% subscribe to the statement, with 43% saying they “strongly agree” that they are more price conscious and 40% saying they “agree” that they pay more attention to prices. Only 8% say they are not more tuned into prices, with another 10% opting out of the question by saying they are “not sure.”

Additional data indicates a smattering of respondents are occasionally paying more than $9.99 for books. The survey statement was: “I didn’t think I would be willing to pay over $9.99 for ebooks, but I’ve been doing it at least twice a month.” Only 14% admit cracking against their resolve, with only 2% strongly agreeing that they pay more and 12% merely agreeing they do so.

Some 36% disagree, denying they pay over $9.99 and 39% strongly disagree with the statement. An unsure 12% sit in the middle. To sum that up, nearly 75% say—in this survey question at least—they are not paying over $9.99 “at least twice a month.”
Exceed the $12.99 ceiling for newly released titles and resistance stiffens. “I occasionally pay $13 or more for newly released ebook titles,” is the statement respondents were presented with. Only 3% “strongly agree”; 16% “agree”. That is a 31% fall off from the 50% who relented and paid in the $10 to $12.99 range. To sum it up, 74% hold firm and do not buy newly released titles priced over $12.99.

Even if the ebook is professional or technical in nature, price resistance over the $9.99 tag is strong. For those types of ebooks, only 6% strongly agree that they would pay the surcharge for the specialty ebooks, and only 15% agree. A large 24% are unsure, perhaps never faced with the decision. But 32% disagree, indicating they would not pay more, and 23% strongly disagree.

(One of several Kindle Nation posts exploring the results of the Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey. Click here to see a breakdown of results.)

Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey Results: Citizens of Kindle Nation, Meet the Citizens of Kindle Nation

By Tom Dulaney, Contributing Reporter

She’s an avid reader. 

She’s “a woman of a certain age,” and without putting too fine a point on it, just between us we can acknowledge that she’s over 54. 

She loves to pick up new technology, the earlier the better if her budget permits. 

She lives in the US. 

An ebook’s author and price are important factors when she decides whether or not to buy an ebook, but so are recommendations by those she trusts, including friends and family, Kindle Nation Daily, and the “crowd sourcing” of Amazon reviewers. 

She’s very aware of ebook pricing and the price wars of the past year. She is a partisan in passionate support of lower ebook prices and greater selection, and she is willing to play a pro-active role and be the price-setter herself.

Who is she? 

She may be you, and she is certainly the “typical” ebook lover among the record 2,275 people who responded to the Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey conducted by Kindle Nation Daily in January.

A point of interest: Survey respondents were asked for their demographic information in the most gentle of ways. 2,228—or 98% of all 2,275 respondents—shared information about age, gender, and more.

The preponderance of respondents own and love their Kindle devices. The survey was open to the whole world during end of January, regardless of device they use to read ebooks. Survey details indicate large numbers of the respondents have devices other than Kindles on which they can read books from the Kindle Store. However, the overwhelming number of respondents do own Kindle devices, but are multi-device households.

The survey’s 15 questions collected detailed information on readers’ ebook buying habits, their preferences, their resistance to higher ebook prices, and their opinions on the key players in the book business, including authors, traditional publishers, independent authors, literary agents, Amazon and its CEO Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs of Apple, and even Kindle Nation.

The data collected is detailed, so we will offer a series of articles breaking down the responses during the next few days.

For now, a closer look at the people who responded in general terms:
  • 67% are female, 33% male
  • 51.5% are over 54; 46.4% are between between 25 and 54; only 1.3% are under 25.
  • 70% call themselves “tech savvy,” but a significant 17.2% say they are not.
  • 75% love technology, and 70.1% are early adopters of new gadgets.
  • 17.3% use their Kindles when traveling internationally.
  • About 93% live in the US.
  • 1.5% are Canadian; 1.3% live in the UK, and another 3% are spread around the rest of the world. 
  • 7.1% frequently speak or read a language other than English.
  • 14% are — at some level — authors, publishers, journalists or bloggers.

Kindle Version 3.1: Now Here’s a Kindle Update That Kindle Customers Have Been Waiting For! Real Page Numbers, and More!

Amazon announced today that it is rolling out a new update for the latest generation Kindle 3G and wi-fi models, and the update includes a new and long-awaited feature that millions of Kindle owners will notice right away: real page numbers! (There are some other cool features as well; more about them below).
As you can see from the screenshot at left from my Kindle copy of The Hunger Games (the book that my 12-year-old son Danny and I are currently reading together), you can check the real page number for any of tens of thousands of Kindle books just by pressing the Menu button while you are reading.
But I’ve gotten a little ahead of myself already. This software update has not yet been rolled out wirelessly to all latest-generation Kindles. That will happen at some unspecified point in the future. But if you would like to update your own Kindle manually with the new software directly from the Amazon Kindle website, it’s a snap and it’s entirely okay with Amazon.
Here are the steps — and the other features — directly from Amazon’s support page for the new Kindle software update:

Kindle Version 3.1 Overview

We’re excited to announce that a new, free software update is available for Kindle (Latest Generation). It’s free and easy to download. Some of the features included in this update are:
  • Public Notes — This feature lets Kindle users choose to make their book notes and highlights available for others to see. Any Kindle user — including authors, their fans, book reviewers, professors and passionate readers everywhere — can opt-in to share their thoughts on book passages and ideas with friends, family members, colleagues, and the greater Kindle community of people who love to read. This is a new way for readers to share their excitement and knowledge about books and get more from the books they read. To review and turn on Public Notes in your own books, view the Public Notes of people you follow, track your reading activities, see Popular Highlights and your annotations, and view your full library of books, go to https://kindle.amazon.com. Learn more.
  • Real Page Numbers — Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. We’ve already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free “Buy Once, Read Everywhere” Kindle apps in the coming months. If a Kindle book includes page numbers, press the Menu key in an open Kindle book to display page numbers. Learn more.
  • Before You Go … — When you reach the end of the book, you can immediately rate the book, share a message about the book with your social network, get personalized recommendations for what to read next, and see more books by the same author. Learn more.
  • New Newspaper and Magazine Layout — We’re introducing a new and improved layout for newspapers and magazines. This new layout gives you a quick snapshot of the news and helps you decide what you want to read first. Learn more.

Download the Early Preview Release — Version 3.1

Customers can download the Early Preview Release of this update below. All latest generation Kindle and Kindle 3G customers will receive this software update automatically via Wi-Fi once it becomes available. We will update this page when we complete the Early Preview and begin to automatically deliver the update.
Here’s how to download the Early Preview Release of Kindle software update version 3.1 and transfer it to your Kindle via USB:
  1. Determine your software version: From Home, select Menu, then Settings. On the Settings screen you will see the Kindle version at the bottom of the screen. If you see “Version Kindle 3.0.3” or earlier (3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), please proceed with the steps below to update your Kindle to the latest software.

version

2. Download your software: Click on the appropriate link below to download the software update file directly to your computer:

3. Kindle Wi-Fi: Download 3.1 (Early Preview Release) Your serial number will start with “B008”  

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) – U.S. and Canadian Customers*: Download 3.1 (Early Preview Release) Your serial number will start with “B006”   
    Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) – European Customers*: Download 3.1 (Early Preview Release) Your serial number will start with “B00A” 

Your Kindle serial number is visible at the bottom of the Settings Screen. From Home, select Menu, then Settings. *We automatically ship your Kindle with the best built-in wireless card based on the shipping country you select during checkout. If your country is not listed above, please check your serial number to determine which download to use.

1. Transfer software to your Kindle: Turn your Kindle on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer to the root Kindle drive. (The drive contains a number of folders – such as “audible,” “documents,” and “music” – and is typically displayed as a “device” icon).
  2. Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure file transfer to your Kindle is complete before disconnecting. After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect Kindle from your computer. Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.
  3. Start the software update: Go to the Home screen, press the Menu key, and select “Settings.” Press the Menu key again, and then select “Update Your Kindle.” (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Select “Ok” when prompted if you want to perform an update. Your Kindle will restart twice during the update. After the first restart, you will see “Your Kindle is Updating”.
  4. Once the update is complete: Your Kindle will automatically restart a second time. When you go to the Settings page, you should notice Version: Kindle 3.1 at the bottom of the screen. Once you see this, you know your update is complete.
We welcome your feedback about this Early Preview Release of software version 3.1. Please send us an e-mail.

Thanks to All 2,275 Respondents to the Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey

The Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey closed just a few hours ago at midnight Big Island time, and I want to thank each and every one of the 2,275 official respondents! This is our 5th survey since early 2009, an that’s an increase of 15.6 per cent over the previous record high for participation, set in August 2010, and it once again secures the survey’s place as the single largest public survey of Kindle customers.

You can take a look at detailed results of the survey by clicking on the “Thank You” graphic or visiting this link: http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e3akjmwxgj44hypt/results

Big thank yous also go out to our colleagues Len Edgerly at The Kindle Chronicles podcast, Bufo Calvin at the I Love My Kindle blog, Catherine MacDonald at the Kindle Lending Club website, Tom Dulaney at Planet iPad, and Harvey at KindleBoards for helping to spread the word about the survey.

Stay tuned to Kindle Nation for detailed reports on the results, and what they mean for the Kindle Revolution, in the days to come.

Kindle’s New Lending Program May Not Be for Everyone, But It’s Definitely for Some: Lending & Borrowing Grow By Leaps and Bounds Through New “Kindle Lending Club”

In some ways, it wasn’t really fair of us to include a question about the new Kindle lending program in our Winter 2011 Kindle Nation Citizen Survey. After all, the program is even newer and shinier than the Kindles that millions of happy campers opened on the morning of December 25, since Amazon waited until the penultimate day of 2010 to launch the program.

So in that context, it’s pretty impressive that over 15 percent of the first 1500 respondents to our survey said that they were “using the new lending feature to lend or borrow Kindle books” sometimes (10%), every week (4%), or nearly every day (2%).

Even more impressive is the growth of a very attractive new service called the Kindle Lending Club that hits the sweet spot for interested Kindle lenders and borrowers by making the process easier than ever even as it multiplies dramatically the universe of potential readers with whom you can share books.

The Kindle Lending Club is only about two weeks old, but “our membership on the website is now over 8,800, over 10,000 on Facebook, and we have matched over 6,000 book loans on the website since the website launch,” Kindle Lending Club founder Catherine MacDonald told me this morning.

How many Kindle customers will ultimately be borrowing and/or lending of Kindle content? Even if the percentage stays in the 20 percent range, that could be millions of Kindle owners. And content borrowing could also swell the ranks of those who are first introduced to Kindle reading by downloading a free Kindle app onto another device such as an Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, or Mac.

So we don’t know how many there will be, but for those who decide to give it a try it’s hard to think of a better way to go about it than through the Kindle Lending Club. I tried it the other day and managed to lend three books to eager readers that very day, and it took me a grand total of less than five minutes.

We’re sufficiently impressed here at Kindle Nation that we’ve been brainstorming with Kindle Lending Club members for ways to work together to help make a more Kindle-friendly world for all readers and for our author and publisher friends as well.

Check out the Kindle Lending Club for yourself today!

Fighting Breast Cancer: A Special Edition of Beyond the Pink Moon, and a Commitment

For those who remember Kindle Nation’s observance of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October — we published a Free Kindle Nation Shorts excerpt of Nikki Durlester’s memoir Beyond the Pink Moon on October 21 — we have an update. Nikki wrote in recently to express once again her gratitude to the citizens of Kindle Nation for their support, and to let us know that “On January 3rd a Special Edition of my book was released on Amazon including an Afterword by yours truly.” Here’s the link to the new edition:

Beyond the Pink Moon: A Memoir of Legacy, Loss and Survival (Special Edition)

by Nicki Boscia Durlester

Kindle Edition

List Price: $2.99

Buy Now

Hi Steve,

Hope all is well with you. Back on October 21, 2010 in observance of National Breast Cancer month you included an excerpt of my book, Beyond the Pink Moon, A Memoir of Legacy, Loss and Survival on Kindle Nation Daily. I am deeply grateful for your support.

Is there any chance of getting an honorable mention on your site again? Doing my best to sell one book/kindle at a time to make a small difference on the war against breast cancer.

Wishing you a New Year overflowing with good health and happiness.

All the best,

Nicki Boscia Durlester

www.beyondthepinkmoon.com

At Kindle Nation, we are committing to donate $100 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure plus an additional dollar for each reader who purchases Beyond the Pink Moon by clicking on this link. Here’s the set-up:

In this touching, frank and informative memoir, Nicki Boscia Durlester intimately chronicles her transformational journey after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Her story begins with her mother, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1962: a time when breast cancer was only discussed behind closed doors, and long before women took an active role in their diagnosis and treatment.

Nicki provides unique insight into being part of a large Italian-American family afflicted with the BRCA2 gene, and shares poignant stories about her mother and aunts who faced breast and ovarian cancer with extraordinary grace and courage.

Nicki writes candidly about her frustration in finding the right team of doctors as well as the highs and lows of her journey, sharing humor and heart along the way. She puts a human face on statistics ranking breast cancer as the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women in the United States.

This deeply moving story of legacy, loss and ultimately survival is told through the eyes of a daughter who shared an unbreakable bond with her mother. As she travels the scary, unpredictable road through her own diagnosis, treatment and recovery, Nicki discovers the most difficult challenge she faces becomes the most spiritually transcendent experience of her life.

This Special Edition of Beyond the Pink Moon includes an Afterword by the author.

A portion of the proceeds from sales of this book will be donated to breast cancer research.

About the Author

Nicki Boscia Durlester is originally from Easton, Pennsylvania. After graduating from college, she moved to Manhattan where she worked in banking. In 1995, she founded Durlester Consulting, an executive search practice. Headhunter by day, writer by night, she lives in Los Angeles with her husband and two children. She is a breast cancer survivor. This is her first book. http://www.beyondthepinkmoon.com/

Just in time for the holidays: KINDLE FREE FOR ALL! The Most Complete Resource Yet for Getting Free Content for Your Kindle

I may have mentioned once or twice at Kindle Nation that I’ve been working hard lately, behind the scenes, on a valuable new resource for Kindle Nation citizens. This morning I’m pleased to announce the Kindle Exclusive publication of my new book, KINDLE FREE FOR ALL: How to Get Millions of Free Kindle Books and Other Free Content With or Without an Amazon Kindle (For Use with the Latest Generation of Kindles and Kindle Apps). For a limited time through the holiday season it will be available only in the Kindle Store for just 99 cents.

Thanks to some great help from talented editor and author April Hamilton, we have worked hard to hit the sweet spot in making this book the most complete and easy-to-use resource yet for finding all kinds of free content for your Kindle and other Kindle-compatible devices, with useful information on millions of free ebooks, free audio books, and free periodical, blog, and research content for Kindle. Here’s the Table of Contents:

* Ch 1: How Can This Be? Amazon May Be Making Billions, But Kindle is the Key to “Free”
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Best Resources for Kindle Owners
* Ch 2: Use Kindle Nation Daily’s Free Book Alerts
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: No Kindle Required! How to Download and Use Free Kindle Apps for the PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Android and, Soon, the Windows Phone 7 and Other Devices
* Ch 3: Find and Download Thousands of Free Books Directly From the Kindle Store
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Using Wi-Fi, 3G, or a USB Cable to Connect Your Kindle
* Ch 4: Find and Download Free Books From Kindle-Compatible Free Book Collections
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Easily Find Free Kindle Store Classics Arranged by Author and Title
* Ch 5: Find and Download Free Book Samples and Free 14-Day Periodical Trials From the Kindle Store
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Free for You: How to Ask for and Use a Kindle Gift Certificate
* Ch 6: Use Calibre to Manage Your Kindle’s Free Books and Other Kindle Content
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Email eBooks, Memoranda, Scripts, Manuscripts, Directions, Recipes, Legal Briefs and Other Personal Documents to Your Kindle
* Ch 7: Read Blogs, Periodicals, and Other Web Content for Free on the Kindle
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Use eReadUps to Collect Research on Your Kindle or Build Your Own eBooks from Web Sources
* Ch 8: Why Your Kindle’s Free Wireless Web Browser is a Revolutionary Feature, and May Be the Key to What’s Next from Amazon
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Use Your Kindle to Check Your eMail
* Ch 9: Unlock the World Of Free Audio on the Kindle
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: How to Contact Kindle Nation
* Ch 10: Ten Reasons the New Kindle 3 or Kindle Wi-Fi Is a Must if You Love to Read … And a Few Minor Drawbacks
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: Kindle Periodicals and Your Battery
* Ch 11: The Politics of “Free” Books In the Age of the Kindle
* Between the Chapters, and Just Between Us: The Future of Free in the Kindle Store
* Ch 12: The Myth of the Kindle’s “Standard” $9.99 Price, the Agency Model, and the ABCs of Kindle Store Pricing