Want to enjoy great, well-formatted reading on your Kindle, but beginning to feel like you are contributing a little too much to keeping the wolf from Amazon’s door?
Don’t want to fool around with transferring ebooks to and from your computer via USB connection? You may be amazed at how easy it can be to download free books directly to your Kindle over the Whispernet, without any need for a computer!
Try ManyBooks, one of the favorite websites used by Kindle owners to find and transfer free books for their Kindles. As you can see with the image above at the right, ManyBooks and its current catalog of 23,905 free books is also nicely optimized for viewing on your Kindle or on any other mobile device.
Just follow these steps to make ManyBooks a regular part of your Kindle browsing, all at absolutely no cost:
- Use your Kindle keyboard to type mnybks.net from your home screen or from within any content you are reading on your Kindle. This is the ManyBook mobile URL. If you are reading this piece as a Kindle Nation daily blog article directly on your Kindle, you can go to the ManyBooks mobile site directly just by clicking here.
- Push your 5-way (Kindle 2 or DX) or scrollwheel (Kindle 1) to the right to select “go to” or “google” to enable the Kindle’s web browser to bring you to the ManyBooks website or a Google listing of ManyBooks links.
- No need to type a prefix such as http:// – the Kindle will take care of that.
- Use the category links or keyword search feature at the ManyBooks mobile website to find a book, and click on it to begin downloading it directly to your Kindle via Whispernet.
- Click on the “Mobipocket/Kindle” download option from the next screen, and you will see the screen prompt above, at right. Click OK to continue, give the book a moment to download, and you should find the title on your Home screen when you check for it.